Tuesday, June 08, 2010

"Continuous Challenge" - A Key factor to Transcend In Career

Though I didn't see any of the matches that Nadal played, but his brilliance is unquestionable. Amazing consistency! Since 2005, he has won 5 of the 6 French Open titles. Yet, I am still a big fan of Federer. He is a "Silent Killer". Every time, he is challenged, he comes back with his exuberance & proves why he is still the best. I always feel that Nadal's excellence brings the best in Federer. As Nadal gets better, so is Federer. If Nadal came out as an ordinary player in last few years, I am sure Federer would have hit the roof & "stopped growing". I think Sampras didn't have the opportunity to have a great opponent during his peak of the career. Hence, even though he had broken quite a few records, yet his achievements didn't really transcend beyond a point. Continuous Success breeds Complacency unless there is a way to Challenge it!!! I like the competition between Nadal & Federer because I know this will help Federer to avoid complacency & achieve more Grand Slams which will be difficult for anybody to break in near future :)

Now let's look at the corporate world. If you think you are best, there is nobody to compete with, then you sort of hit the roof. There is no fun. Your performance doesn't transcend to new heights from there even though you are a genius.

My advice - Let's build a culture where every individual within the organization feels that he is challenged every day in & out. That will be one way in which we can get the best out of every individual!!!

No comments: