Sunday, May 23, 2010

Work Culture

After working 8 years in IT Industry, I have my own doubts about this widely misused (according to me) phrase - "Work Culture". Go around, ask your friends(particularly who are in Services Companies) - many of them would say that "Product Companies have the best work culture". I am not sure if we all are on same accord when it comes to describing work culture. Many of us believe, having less work, having no deadline, having no customer to face, means a GREAT work culture. Well, I have spent most of my career in Product Companies. And I personally feel, the model is not really a sustainable one. I have seen individuals/ teams sustaining over a period of 2-3 years without having much to work on. I don't know if this is an usual problem of large organization, but i strongly feel, it's a problem of plenty - it's like when you earn in crores, you don't bother if the laundry guy takes you for a ride for many months. How does it matter to you anyway!!! You get to realize the problem only when you are about to get bankrupt!!!

No comments: