Sunday, January 24, 2010

(Un)Reality Shows ???

Latest fad in the TV world is undoubtedly "Reality Shows" - be it Swayambar or Big-Boss or Dance Shows or MTV Roadies or Singing Competitions. Initially I was quite excited about this concept. Now after seeing so many of them over the last few years, I am utterly bored & dissapointed. Predictability & Dramatization have been two primary reasons. When I heard about "Rakhi's Swayambar", I was sure about the ultimate outcome. When I see the "war of words" between the judges in any of the reality shows, it puts me down since I know these guys are camouflaging. Even at times the scoring is artificially modified to bring more public attention. Watch "Amul Music Ka Maha Mukabla", you will get to understand what I am talking about. Ahhh, that's so much of stupidity. There is nothing wrong with the whole thing, apart from the fact that these are not truly reality shows. I am afraid these shows would loose the charm once the public also start realizing the fake/unreal part of these shows. Such shows force me to coin a new phrase - "Reality Quotient". And I calculate this as following:

Reality Quotient = Real/[Real + Drama] * 100

I am sure you would agree that most of these reality shows have a reality quotient which is far less from being 100%. At the same time, I do strongly believe that, Dramatizing is not necessarily the only way to make a reality show interesting. I am confident that the directors have more innovative ways to make these shows interesting, yet at the same time keeping them "truly real".......

1 comment:

Bibhuti said...

Good Blog. I may be wrong but is there any other intention behind these shows than to earn some bucks at times more in comparision to other shows? The attitude of judges, partiality, harsh criticism to participants are very irritating.