Tuesday, April 11, 2006

My idea of a good Leader!!!!

Not all leaders are made in heaven. Some of them are "born-leaders" and others are "carved-leaders". A good leader always brings the best in a person no matter how bad the other person be.

I am trying to jot down some of the important traits(that I think) of a good leader.

"A good driver doesn't complain about the bumpy road":

A leader must play well under pressure. Dravid and Ponting have set good examples in recent times. They lead from front whenever situation demands.

"I would love to play Back-hand like Federer, I would love to Bat like Sachin ":
A leader must set an example in the team. Followers learn from the leaders. Every act of him must reflect his personality.

"Bill Gates called me up to ask how am I doing. I feel so great":
A leader must possess the ability to motivate people under any circumstances.Motivations do wonder for many people.

"My wife complains about my working hours"
A leader must provoke productivity in people.He must make people understand that working long hours, working on week ends don't necessarily mean that they are great workers.

"I think Out-Of-The-Box....":
A leader must bring creativity in a team. You don't deserve to go up unless you bring innovative solutions to problems.

"I work for fun...":
A leader must encourage professionalism. Professionalism may be a very hyped word across the industries. But that's what matters the most. It's all about having a good attitude towards work. When you love something/somebody you do things proactively. You tend to think beyond your immediate responsibilities and do other things which you think may be a value add. That's what called professionalism. People need to understand that they themselves are responsible for their future. Unless they show prfessionalism, they will be left behind.

"I am a studd guy..I do everything..."
A leader must promote dynamism in the team.He must encourage peole to do different things in life(not necessarily related to work). That helps people to become more creative.

"We found a solution during lunch time..."
A leader must build a team which believe in problem solving through discussion. Ask yourself a question: How many times your problems are solved over a cup of coffee or in a board meeing. Discussions are very crucial in a corporate life. The more you discuss, the better. It actually brings different prospectives to a problem. You tend to get multiple views on the same problem. That's why you end up taking a "wise" decision. More importantly it makes the participants think more on a topic and that's we need at end of a day,"thinking workers" .

By no means this list is comprehensive. Please add your valuable points.

-Bijay



No comments: